Monday, October 20, 2014

Sketchbook Skool: Unleash Your Imagination!


This 3rd week at Sketchbook Skool our teacher was Mattias Adolfsson. His "specialty" is drawing from imagination. His 1st homework assignment for us, after his excellent teaching videos, was to sketch a memory from our 1st day of school.

Say what?? That was in 1956!! 

But, I did come up with a memory. It was my Mom having to push me from behind, with me digging my heels in to resist. School was not a "fun" memory for me, but as a family we've laughed at this incident over the years.

So... here is my memory. Not of the actual event, but rather the feelings of a little girl, self-conscious in orthopedic shoes, with no friends, starting this strange new place called School.

And for those who aren't familiar with Vincent Van Gogh... he was known for the black crows he painted in the sky of his last painting, right before his suicide. Yeah... this memory was a day of "drama" for that little 5 year old. 

 
First, the inked line drawing (can click any to enlarge):








Next, the shading, done with Inktense 
watercolor pencil and waterbrush:







And lastly, the finished drawing:


"No! No! No! No!"

9 x 12 sketchbook
Sakura Micron pens, watercolors, 
waterbrush, watercolor pencils, 
and colored pencils



Here are a couple of close ups:





This weeks homework was a challenge, but I thoroughly enjoyed the teaching from Mattias about making drawings from our imagination. Highly recommended!


Happy sketching,

Retta

No comments:

Post a Comment