Friday, August 14, 2015

Hey ya'll, it's Artists Appreciation Month!

Did you know that August is "Artists Appreciation Month"?? Me neither!

Well, alrighty then, I'm one of those... so count me in!

But I wouldn't BE one of those if I hadn't been influenced in my life by other creatives. This post will honor some that influenced me most.

(Long post, but like a comic book... mostly pictures, mwa ha ha ha!!)


My Artist Appreciation Month 
Thank-You-for-Influencing-My-Life List:


(Difficult to narrow down!! )
(Can click any images to enlarge)

For incredible skill and beauty both in painting and sculpture:

Moses
marble c.1513-1515


For color, design, and more color:




My Dining Room 1909


Almond Blossom 1890





For storytelling ability and beautiful illustrations:

Ecstasy 1929


 The Mermaid 1910


James Gurney, Imaginative Realism (I own these 3books!)





For imagination, whimsy and, of course, color:

Juggling Clown

Stilts & His Magic Rabbit


For bold and colorful art; he paints "the color of emotions":




But from a young age there was one that influenced me first and the most. 

The Master.
He captured my imagination...
He had an amazing ability to tell a visual story... 
He could touch hearts...
He portrayed goodness in life...
He used gentle humor or tenderness...

But most of all, his undeniable and under-appreciated skill in painting: 



I want to thank Patience Brewster for inviting me to join in posting about Artists Appreciation Month! I've thoroughly enjoyed revisiting old "friends" and seeing their paintings once again.

When I checked out Patience's art, oh my... talk about ADORABLE! And since I enjoyed it so much I thought I'd pass on the link for you. 

It's wonderful stuff, so here be ye the link to Patience Brewster.  Be sure to see their ornaments and check out my favorites, the Zebras named Zeke and Zelda! Too cute!


Happy Artist Appreciation Month!


Retta

4 comments:

  1. Wow! I'm glad I got to see this post. I can see the influence of these artists in your pictures. You use vivid color and line that draws the eye. I'm not an artist but I think you are extremely talented. I, especially, appreciate you and your work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, thank you so much, Karen.
      And you ARE an artist, it just is expressed differently than mine. You paint with music or words. I think you'd enjoy reading about Wassily Kandinsky. He was born with Synaesthesia Cognate, the ability to hear colors and see sounds! He did a whole series of paintings based on the music of symphonies. Just amazing stuff!

      Delete
  2. I see how the artists you named influenced you. You should list yourself under color. I love the way you use it. Van Gogh is one of my favorites. Parrish too. And I love Chagall.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, Chagall! I love the abandon and energy of his paintings.
      Thank you, Mary.

      Delete