Sunday, November 09, 2014

Sketchbook Skool: I need Practice!


Week 5 of Sketchbook Skool: Gesture Drawings

Yikes, that was a hard week for me. 

I am NOT a fast sketcher, painter, drawer, anything-er. But I signed up for this Sketchbook Skool, plunked down my hard earned money, so by golly, I was gonna get my money's worth by giving it a try, ha!

First homework assignment up: Group Gesture Drawing;  Spend the afternoon in a local cafe sketching groups of people. Goal:  gesture, movement, a small "story", not a likeness.

Well... I couldn't go to the local Cafe and hang out (mobility/transportation issues), so I hung out with the singing group Train, recorded singing live on Letterman. They sang a favorite song of mine "Calling All Angels" (thank you, Mr Youtube). (can click pic to enlarge)


"I Won't Give Up"

9 x 12 sketchbook
Pitt pens Med and Brush
watercolor pencils
waterbrush



This assignment taught me several things:

I DO enjoy dancing lines, thick and thin lines, dashes and dots and squiggly lines.

I do NOT enjoy drawing just in black and white, nor do I enjoy drawing under a time pressure, in a hurry.

At first, I did NOT like my finished piece; it seemed stiff and gawky.

So I decided to just cut loose and have fun with it! I added some border lines, lettering at the top, a few of the colors I saw on the stage, and stage lights. Now I like it. :-)


Last line in their song: 

"I won't give up. You don't give up."

If you'd like to hear Train sing the song, visit youtube HERE. 

----------------------------------------------------------


Next up: One Person Gesture Drawing.  Follow one person around and make gesture drawings of them.

This was HARD!
Me not LIKE it.
Felt rushed and stressful.
But me DID it.

My "subject" was available for this overcast
and chilly day in Southern Oregon.




He couldn't mow grass until leaves raked.
So I sketched husband while he worked.
(He thought he was working while I was playing).

Filled mower with gas.
Raked.
Raked.
More raking.
Chewed on bone (dog, not husband).
Finally mowed lawn.
By that time I was cold (and complaining 
"but he keeps moving").
Wimped out and went inside to hot tea.


There you have it, my homework for Gesture drawings. 
 
And I learned WHY I didn't enjoy drawing in a rush:
I don't like the results. 

And that's just lack of practice. 
I get better results when I go slow 
but it's not natural and easy,
like the teachers of this kind of gesture drawing. 

My take away: practice, patience and persistence!!


Happy sketching,

Retta

No comments:

Post a Comment